Apple-Pear Praline Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare and roll out Nut Pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with a pastry circle.
- In a large bowl stir together granulated sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Add apple and pears; gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Trim bottom pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits in remaining pastry circle; place on filling and seal. Crimp edge as desired.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the rack below the pie in oven. Bake pie in the preheated oven for 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes more until filling is bubbly. Transfer to a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan melt the 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Gradually stir in brown sugar and milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Carefully spoon over baked pie; sprinkle with pecans. Return pie to oven; bake for 2 to 3 minutes or until topping starts to bubble. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 slices.
- In bowl combine flour; ground, toasted pecans or almonds; and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of mixture; toss with fork. Push moistened dough to side. Using a total of 8 to 12 tablespoons, repeat until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half; form each into a ball. On lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll into a 13-inch circle. Repeat with remaining ball of dough.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Pear Praline Pie)
- Per serving:
- 636 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 38 mg chol.,
- 419 mg sodium,
- 79 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 43 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet