So full of sweet, juicy fruit that it outgrew a standard pie plate, this dessert bakes in a springform pan. Hazelnuts in the pastry and a crumb topping add elegance to homey apple pie.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 1 hr 15 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 30 mins 375°F
Hazelnut Pastry (see recipe below)
teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
pounds tart cooking apples (such as Rome Beauty or Granny Smith), peeled and sliced (about 9 cups)
cups fresh cranberries
Hazelnut-Pine Nut Streusel (see recipe below)
Cinnamon or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten Hazelnut Pastry to a disk. Roll disk from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Pastry will be tender. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin and ease it into a 9-inch springform pan. Fit pastry into the pan and up the side. Press together any tears with your fingers, and pat into place. Trim pastry even with top edge of pan. Do not prick pastry. Set aside.
- For filling, in a very large bowl combine sugar, flour, orange peel, and salt. Add apples and cranberries. Toss to coat. Mound mixture into the pastry-lined springform pan (pan will be full). Dot with butter. Carefully sprinkle with Hazelnut-Pine Nut Streusel.
- Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan. To prevent overbrowning, cover with foil. Bake pie for 1-1/4 hours. Remove foil. Bake for 15 to 30 minutes more or until fruit is tender and filling is bubbly. Cool in springform pan on a wire rack. Run a thin spatula or knife around the edge of the crust. Remove side of springform pan; cut pie into wedges. If desired, serve with ice cream. Makes 12 servings.
Hazelnut-Pine Nut Streusel
cup packed brown sugar
cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
cup pine nuts
- In a small bowl, stir together flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in hazelnuts and pine nuts.
cup ground hazelnuts
tablespoon packed brown sugar
cup butter-flavored shortening
tablespoons cold water
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, ground hazelnuts, brown sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Cranberry-Hazelnut Pie)
- Per serving:
- 424 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 15 mg chol.,
- 142 mg sodium,
- 56 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet