- If using frozen cherries, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes or until partially thawed. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl stir together the 2 cups flour and the salt. Cut in shortening or lard until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat until all is moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half of dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten each ball of dough with your hands. Roll out one portion of dough from center to edges, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry around a rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- Roll out remaining pastry; cover with plastic wrap until needed.
- Stir together the 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and the nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cherries and apple slices. Add sugar mixture. Toss to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate. Dot fruit with margarine or butter. Adjust top crust. Seal and flute edge. If desired, cut decorative shapes from dough scraps. Brush the back sides of the shapes with milk and arrange on the top crust. Cut slits in the top crust. Brush top crust with milk. Combine the 1/2 teaspoon sugar and the dash cinnamon; sprinkle over crust. Cover edge with foil.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes (50 minutes if using frozen cherries). Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden and filling is bubbly. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Cherry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 160 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet