- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: 2 braids
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cool: 15 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 375°F per batch
Almond-Cherry Pastry Braids
17.3 ounce package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
8 ounce can almond paste
cup granulated sugar
cup cherry or raspberry preserves
cup slivered almonds, chopped
Coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Unfold pastry sheets; place one sheet of pastry on each prepared baking sheet.
- For almond filling, in a medium bowl, combine almond paste, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and egg white. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until nearly smooth. Divide in half.
- For each braid, spread half of the almond filling in a 3-inch strip down the center of each pastry sheet, leaving 1/2 inch unfilled along each end. Spread half of the preserves over filling. On both long sides, use kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to make 3-inch cuts from edge toward filling, spacing the cuts 1 inch apart. Starting at one end, alternately fold opposite strips of pastry at an angle across the filling, overlapping ends of strips in middle. Press down gently to seal.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and the water; brush over braids. Sprinkle with almonds and coarse sugar. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let stand for 20 minutes. Remove and discard plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake, one braid at a time, in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until top and bottom are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into slices; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Almond-Cherry Pastry Braids)
- Per serving:
- 344 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 18 mg chol.,
- 165 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet