Alan's Apple-Cranberry Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a floured surface, roll one pastry portion to a circle 14 inches in diameter. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate; cover and set aside. On a floured surface roll remaining pastry to a 12-inch circle; cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine apples, cranberries and lemon juice. In a small bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Spread bottom of crust with Pastry Cream. Toss apple mixture with dry ingredients; add to pie tin. Immediately add top crust. Trim to 1/2-inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Cut 4 small openings, so the steam is released. Combine egg and whipping cream; brush liberally on pie. Place pie on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cover edges of pie with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Cool on wire rack.
- In a small saucepan combine milk and 1/4 cup sugar; cook over medium heat just until bubbly on edges. Meanwhile in a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and salt until combined. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup hot milk mixture; quickly beat in remaining milk mixture. Return to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick and comes to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool. Chill to store.
Alan's Pie Pastry
- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, kosher salt, and baking powder. With a pastry blender cut in butter leaving chunks the size of peas. Combine ice-cold water, sour cream, and vinegar. Add liquid all at once to the flour mixture. Quickly stir to distribute; do not overmix. The dough should be slightly crumbly. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. The finished dough should break, not stretch. Divide into three portions; shape into disks. Use at once or wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days. Or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Alan's Apple-Cranberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 560 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 131 mg chol.,
- 205 mg sodium,
- 76 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 44 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Anonymous 1181 Days Ago
Amazing recipe! Labor intensive, and not for the novice baker; but well worth it. My family was saying it was the best apple pie they EVER had. And don't leave out the pastry cream or cranberries, they make the pie.