Philippine Chicken Adobo with Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Nonstick cooking spray
pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks), skin removed
cups sliced yellow onions (2 large)
cloves garlic, minced
pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
cup unsweetened light coconut milk
tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
tablespoons rice vinegar
teaspoon cayenne pepper
tablespoons cold water
Snipped fresh chives
Cracked black pepper
- Coat an extra-large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, half at a time, in hot skillet until brown. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker combine onions, bay leaves, and garlic. Add sweet potatoes. Top with chicken. In a medium bowl combine coconut milk, soy sauce, vinegar, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 6 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting about 3 hours or until chicken and sweet potatoes are tender.
- To serve, remove chicken with a slotted spoon; cover and keep warm. Transfer sweet potatoes to a medium bowl; mash slightly with a potato masher. Cover and keep warm.
- For sauce, remove and discard bay leaves from onion mixture. In a medium saucepan stir together the cold water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in onion mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and sauce. Garnish with chives and black pepper.
Nutrition Facts(Philippine Chicken Adobo with Smashed Sweet Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 284 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 61 mg chol.,
- 321 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet