Perfect Hash Browns
- Peel potatoes. Coarsely shred potatoes using a handheld shredder or a food processor with a coarse shredding blade.
- Place shredded potatoes in a large bowl; add enough cool water to cover potatoes. Stir well. Drain in a colander set in a sink. Repeat rinsing and draining two or three times until water runs clear. Drain again, pressing out as much water as you can with a rubber spatula. Line a salad spinner with paper towels; add potatoes and spin.* Repeat, if necessary, until potatoes are dry. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet** heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and the butter over medium-high heat until butter foams. Add potatoes to the skillet, spreading into an even layer. Gently press with the back of a spatula to form a cake. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, without stirring, about 12 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crisp.
- Invert a baking sheet or plate over the top of the skillet. Carefully invert the skillet with the baking sheet or plate to transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet or plate. If needed, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Using the baking sheet or plate, slide the potatoes back into the skillet, uncooked side down. Cook, without stirring, about 8 minutes more or until the bottom is golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with paprika before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Make Ahead Directions:
Shred potatoes as directed in Step 1. Place shredded potatoes in a bowl of cool water. Chill in the refrigerator overnight. Rinse and continue with Steps 2 through 4 as directed.
To get potatoes to brown properly, it is important to dry them well before cooking. If you don't have a salad spinner, dry the potatoes by pressing the water out with a potato ricer or by patting the shredded potatoes dry with paper towels.
A skillet with sloping sides works particularly well.
Nutrition Facts (Perfect Hash Browns)
- Per serving:
- 110 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 120 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet