- Makes: 80 servings
- Yields: about 80 cookies
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 3 hrs
- Freeze: 4 hrs
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon baking powder
tablespoons white creme de menthe
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
cup powdered sugar
tablespoon white creme de menthe
Few drops red food coloring
cup finely crushed peppermint candies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, the 2 tablespoons creme de menthe, milk, and vanilla. Beat in as much of the 2-3/4 cups flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any of the remaining 2-3/4 cups flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, and the 1 tablespoon creme de menthe on low to medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough red food coloring to tint filling pale pink. Gently fold in crushed candies. Cover and chill for up to 2 hours. (Be sure not to chill longer than 2 hours or the candies will bleed into the filling and the filling will become too soft and sticky.)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Spread half of the filling over rolled dough rectangle to within 1/2 inch each long edge. Roll up both long edges, scroll fashion, to meet in the center. Brush seam where dough spirals meet with water; lightly press together. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap; place on a tray or cookie sheet. Freeze 4 to 24 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Using a serrated knife, cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Peppermint Palmiers)
- Per serving:
- 53 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 9 mg chol.,
- 27 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet