Peppered Pear Scones with Pear Conserve
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, the 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper, the baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl beat eggs lightly; stir in cheese and buttermilk. Add the buttermilk mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Fold in pear pieces.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and gently pressing for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll the dough into an 8-inch square. Cut into 16 squares.
- Place scones 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with additional cracked pepper. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer scones to a wire rack. Serve warm with Pear Conserve.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake scones as directed. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap cooled scones in heavy foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Bake the wrapped, frozen scones for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
- In a large saucepan combine pears, the water, and lemon juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and golden raisins. Return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in nuts (if desired) and ground mace or cinnamon. Cool slightly. Ladle into an airtight storage container. Cover; seal.
Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts(Peppered Pear Scones with Pear Conserve)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 38 mg chol.,
- 164 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 15 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet