Pear Frangipane Crostada
- Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a food processor combine almond paste, one of the eggs, the cornstarch, and salt. Cover and process until well mixed. Dust a piece of parchment paper with flour. Place the disk of Perfect Pie Crust on paper. Using a rolling pin, roll crust into a circle 12 to 13 inches in diameter. Spread almond paste mixture in the center of the crust circle, leaving a 2-inch space uncovered around the edge.
- In a large bowl toss pears with lemon juice and nutmeg. Arrange pears on top of almond paste mixture. Gently fold crust edge over pear mixture to just cover edges of pears, pleating as necessary. Transfer crostata on parchment paper to a baking sheet. In a small bowl beat the remaining one egg with a whisk; brush edge of crust with beaten egg.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown and pears are soft. To prevent overbrowning, cover crostata loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking. Place apricot preserves in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) just until melted; brush over pears. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve warm or cooled.
Perfect Pie Crust
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse until largest pieces are the size of peas. In a cup, combine water and vinegar; drizzle, a little at a time (just using amount needed), while pulsing, into flour mixture until a dough just starts to form (mixture will appear dry but will form a soft dough when pressed with fingers). If dough still crumbles, pulse in a little more water mixture.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and quickly form a ball by gathering together and pressing with hands. Halve and wrap each piece in plastic wrap, pressing to flatten into disks. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 2 single crusts.
From the Test Kitchen
Place wrapped disks in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator at least 5 hours before using.
Nutrition Facts (Pear Frangipane Crostada)
- Per serving:
- 444 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 101 mg chol.,
- 273 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet