Zucchini Lasagna with Walnuts
- Trim ends off zucchini. Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise. (You should have 9 slices total, about 1/8 inch thick.) Place in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet; brush lightly with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning once; cool. Grease a 2-quart square baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat the remaining 3 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onions, and garlic; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Add marinara sauce, basil, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small mixing bowl toss together the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In the prepared baking dish arrange 2 noodles. Spread with a third of the sauce. Sprinkle with a third of the nuts. Top with a third of the zucchini, then sprinkle with a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layering, alternating direction of the zucchini in each layer and finishing with the zucchini; set remaining cheese aside.
- Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
All brands of no-boil lasagna are not the same size. Use enough noodles to have 3 even, single layers.
Prepare lasagna as directed, except do not bake. Wrap, label, and freeze for up to 1 month. Freeze cheese for topping separately. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F. oven for 1 hour. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts(Zucchini Lasagna with Walnuts)
- Per serving:
- 358 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 23 mg chol.,
- 839 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet