- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 6 ounces dried whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups chopped vegetables, such as carrots, sweet pepper, zucchini, and/or mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 25 ounce jar no-salt-added spaghetti sauce (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- crushed red pepper
- Crumbled Parmesan cheese or finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions; drain and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook vegetables, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring often. Stir in spaghetti sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper; heat through.*
3. Serve sauce over cooked spaghetti. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- To disguise vegetables for picky eaters, transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor before heating through. Cover and blend or process the sauce until nearly smooth. Return mixture to skillet and heat through.
- If desired, cook 8 ounces of raw extra-lean ground turkey breast in a skillet until browned and no pink remains. Add with the spaghetti sauce and heat through.