- For sauce, in a 2-quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, the 1 teaspoon oregano, the thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse shells in cold water.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, half of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta or cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, the 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and dash pepper. Spoon filling into manicotti.
- Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange stuffed manicotti in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese atop.
- Bake the stuffed manicotti, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except do not bake. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake as above.
Nutrition Facts (Three-Cheese Manicotti)
- Per serving:
- 284 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 88 mg chol.,
- 586 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet