Mozzarella, ricotta, and Parmesan cheeses make a scrumptious filling for these hearty shells. To add the cheese mixture without tearing the pasta shells, use a spoon that will fit inside each shell.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 350°F
- For sauce, in a 2-quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, the 1 teaspoon oregano, the thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse shells in cold water.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, half of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta or cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, the 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and dash pepper. Spoon filling into manicotti.
- Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange stuffed manicotti in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese atop.
- Bake the stuffed manicotti, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Makes 8 servings.
Prepare as above, except do not bake. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake as above.
- 284 kcal cal.;
- 14 g Fat, total;
- 88 mg chol.;
- 7 g sat. fat;
- 21 g carb.;
- 1 g fiber;
- 19 g pro.;
- 586 mg sodium;
- 288 RE vit. A;
- 535 mg calcium;
- 3 mg iron;
- 14 mg vit. C
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet