The ricotta cheese in this popular main dish recipe will have a slightly grainy texture when cooked into the lasagna.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 450/375 degree F
- Stand: 15 mins
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. In a roasting pan combine eggplant, onion, and garlic. Add 1/2 cup of the snipped basil and the oil; toss to coat. Roast, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are very tender, stirring once; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside. For filling, in a food processor bowl* combine 1-1/2 cups of the Gruyere cheese, the ricotta cheese, goat cheese, whipping cream, eggs, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cover and process until just combined.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F. Spoon one-third of the eggplant mixture evenly in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Layer with 4 noodles and one-third of the filling. Repeat layers twice, starting with eggplant and ending with filling. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese. Cover with nonstick aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup basil and the lemon peel. Makes 12 servings.
Prepare lasagna as directed but do not bake. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes; uncover and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Top as directed above.
If you do not have a food processor, combine filling ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined.
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 114 mg chol.,
- 315 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet