The ricotta cheese in this popular main dish recipe will have a slightly grainy texture when cooked into the lasagna.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 450/375 degree F
- Stand: 15 mins
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. In a roasting pan combine eggplant, onion, and garlic. Add 1/2 cup of the snipped basil and the oil; toss to coat. Roast, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are very tender, stirring once; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside. For filling, in a food processor bowl* combine 1-1/2 cups of the Gruyere cheese, the ricotta cheese, goat cheese, whipping cream, eggs, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cover and process until just combined.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F. Spoon one-third of the eggplant mixture evenly in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Layer with 4 noodles and one-third of the filling. Repeat layers twice, starting with eggplant and ending with filling. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese. Cover with nonstick aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup basil and the lemon peel. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare lasagna as directed but do not bake. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes; uncover and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Top as directed above.
If you do not have a food processor, combine filling ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined.
Nutrition Facts (Three-Cheese Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 114 mg chol.,
- 315 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet