Spaghetti with Sauce Italiano
- In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine undrained tomatoes, mushrooms (if desired), tomato paste, bay leaf, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Discard bay leaf. Turn off cooker. Add sweet pepper; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling, lightly salted water according to package directions; drain. Spoon meat mixture over pasta. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
Spaghetti with Spicy Sausage-Cream Sauce:
Prepare as directed, substituting bulk hot Italian sausage for Italian sausage. Before serving, stir 1/2 cup whipping cream into sauce.
Nutrition Facts per serving for Spaghetti with Spicy Sausage-Cream Sauce: 621 cal., 30 g fat (15 g sat. fat), 78 mg chol., 1,514 mg sodium, 62 g carb., 6 g fiber, 28 g pro.
Nutrition Facts (Spaghetti with Sauce Italiano)
- Per serving:
- 548 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 57 mg chol.,
- 1385 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet