- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 4 ounce cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained (optional)
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 - 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 large)
- 12 - 16 ounces dried spaghetti
- Grated or finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
2. Meanwhile, in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine undrained tomatoes, mushrooms (if desired), tomato paste, bay leaf, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir in meat mixture.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Discard bay leaf. Turn off cooker. Add sweet pepper; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling, lightly salted water according to package directions; drain. Spoon meat mixture over pasta. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
- Prepare as directed, substituting bulk hot Italian sausage for Italian sausage. Before serving, stir 1/2 cup whipping cream into sauce.
- Nutrition Facts per serving for Spaghetti with Spicy Sausage-Cream Sauce: 621 cal., 30 g fat (15 g sat. fat), 78 mg chol., 1,514 mg sodium, 62 g carb., 6 g fiber, 28 g pro.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 548,
- Fat, total (g) 25,
- chol. (mg) 57,
- sat. fat (g) 9,
- carb. (g) 60,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 11,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3,
- fiber (g) 6,
- sugar (g) 11,
- pro. (g) 22,
- vit. A (IU) 1069,
- vit. C (mg) 40,
- sodium (mg) 1385,
- calcium (mg) 71,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet