This hearty spaghetti casserole recipe makes dinner a snap on busy weeknights. Using cottage cheese helps keep it low-fat.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 20 mins 350°F
ounces dried spaghetti
tablespoon butter or margarine
cup grated Parmesan cheese
ounces ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cup chopped green sweet pepper
clove garlic, minced
8 ounce can tomato sauce
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
Nonstick cooking spray
cup low-fat cottage cheese, drained
cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.
- Return spaghetti to warm saucepan. Stir butter into hot pasta until melted. Stir in egg and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano; heat through.
- Coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese on the top and up the sides of pasta crust. Spread meat mixture over cottage cheese. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. To serve, cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts (Spaghetti Pie)
- Per serving:
- 270 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 76 mg chol.,
- 500 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet