Rigatoni with Eggplant and Dried Tomato Pesto
tablespoons olive oil
medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
recipe Dried Tomato Pesto (recipe follows)
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
tablespoons crumbled chevre (goat cheese) or feta cheese (optional)
Fresh Italian parsley
- Cut onion into 8 wedges. Place in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; brush with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast in a 425 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
- Cut stem end off eggplant; discard. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Brush with remaining olive oil. Stir onion; place eggplant in pan, cut sides down. Continue roasting for 15 minutes more or until onion is golden brown and eggplant is just tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain well. Toss the cooked pasta with Dried Tomato Pesto and pepper.
- Transfer pasta to a serving bowl; keep warm. Transfer eggplant to a cutting board; using a serrated knife, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. (Use a fork to steady eggplant as you slice.) Toss eggplant and onion with pasta; season to taste with salt. Top with cheese and Italian parsley, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 side-dish servings or 4 main-dish servings.
Dried Tomato Pesto
cup oil-packed dried tomatoes (about 3/4 of a 7-ounce jar), reserving oil
olive oil (enough to make 1/2 cup of oil from the reserved tomato oil)
cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- Drain oil-packed dried tomatoes, reserving oil. Add olive oil to equal 1/2 cup; set aside. In a food processor bowl or blender container, combine the drained tomatoes; garlic, chopped; pine nuts or slivered almonds; basil ; and salt. Cover and process or blend until finely chopped. With machine running, gradually add the 1/2 cup oil, processing or blending until almost smooth and stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Divide pesto into thirds. Use a third for Rigatoni with Eggplant and refrigerate the remaining 2 portions up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. Makes approximately three 1/3-cup portions.
Nutrition Facts(Rigatoni with Eggplant and Dried Tomato Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 249 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 75 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet