Rigatoni and Eggplant with Dried Tomato Pesto
- Place the onion wedges in a large shallow baking pan; brush with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast onion in a 425 degree F oven for 10 minutes; stir. Brush the eggplant halves with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place eggplant in pan, cut sides down. Roast 15 minutes more or until onion is golden brown and eggplant is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Add pesto and pepper to pasta; stir gently to coat. Transfer pasta to a warm serving dish; keep warm.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Gently stir eggplant and onion into pasta; season to taste with salt. If desired, top with cheese.
- Makes 4 servings
Dried Tomato Pesto
- Drain oil-packed dried tomatoes, reserving oil. Add enough olive oil to make 1/2 cup; set aside. Place tomatoes, pine nuts or slivered almonds, snipped fresh basil, salt, and garlic in a food processor. Cover; process until finely chopped. With machine running, gradually add the 1/2 cup oil, processing until almost smooth. Divide pesto into three portions. Chill extra portions for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Rigatoni and Eggplant with Dried Tomato Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 370 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 121 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet