- If necessary, cut or break noodles into 4- or 5-inch lengths. In a large saucepan cook noodles in boiling lightly salted water for 4 to 6 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool; drain well.
- Pour oil into a heavy nonstick or well-seasoned skillet. Heat over medium heat. Lift and tilt the skillet to coat sides with oil. With a pancake turner, pat noodles into the skillet.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until bottom of noodle cake is lightly browned. Loosen noodle cake with a large spatula, then carefully invert the skillet and noodle cake onto a baking sheet or a large plate.
- Slide noodle cake back into the skillet, brown side up. Cook, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes more or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove from heat. Loosen from pan and transfer to a serving platter. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed above, except omit the cooking oil. To make 8 noodle cakes, place a generous 1/4 cup of cooked noodles onto a greased baking sheet for each noodle cake. Shape noodles into patties about 4 inches in diameter. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are crisp and lightly browned. Makes 4 servings.
Prepare as directed above, except omit the cooking oil. Spread cooked noodles in a greased 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pan. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is crisp and lightly browned. Transfer to a serving platter. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Noodle Cake)
- Per serving:
- 87 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 3 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet