Macaroni and Cheese with Caramelized Onions
large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
cups regular or multigrain dried elbow macaroni (6 ounces)
cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
ounces processed gruyere cheese, shredded, or blue cheese, crumbled
cup half-and-half or light cream
teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning once. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion in reserved bacon drippings for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to saucepan. Stir in the crumbled bacon, onions, 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the gruyere cheese, half-and half, and pepper. Toss gently to combine. Spoon into a 1-1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F ovenfor 20 minutes. Stir gently. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 minutes more or until top of casserole is brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Macaroni and Cheese with Caramelized Onions)
- Per serving:
- 632 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (21 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 110 mg chol.,
- 617 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet