Macaroni and Cheese with Caramelized Onions
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning once. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion in reserved bacon drippings for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to saucepan. Stir in the crumbled bacon, onions, 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the gruyere cheese, half-and half, and pepper. Toss gently to combine. Spoon into a 1-1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F ovenfor 20 minutes. Stir gently. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 minutes more or until top of casserole is brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Macaroni and Cheese with Caramelized Onions)
- Per serving:
- 632 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (21 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 110 mg chol.,
- 617 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet