- In a large bowl stir together 1-3/4 cups of the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl stir together egg yolks, whole egg, water, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; mix well.
- Sprinkle a kneading surface with the remaining 1/4 cup flour. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle (about 1/16 inch thick). (If using a pasta machine, pass each portion of dough through machine according to manufacturers directions until dough is 1/16 inch thick.) Let stand, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Lightly dust dough with flour. Loosely roll dough into a spiral; cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Shake the strands to separate; cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths.
- To serve immediately, cook for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until tender but still firm, allowing 1 to 2 more minutes for dried or frozen noodles. Drain.
- To store cut noodles, spread them on a wire cooling rack. Let noodles dry about 1 hour or until completely dry. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Or dry the noodles for at least 1 hour and place in a freezer bag or freezer container; freeze for up to 8 months.
- Makes 5 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except substitute 2 beaten egg whites for the 2 beaten egg yolks and 1 beaten egg. Increase the oil to 2 teaspoons.
Per 1/2 cup cooked noodles: 204 cal., 2 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 chol., 256 mg sodium, 38 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 7 g pro.
Daily Values: 1% calcium, 13% iron
Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Noodles)
- Per serving:
- 229 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 128 mg chol. ,
- 249 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.