Good and Healthy Macaroni and Cheese
ounces dried multigrain or whole grain rotini pasta (about 1-1/2 cups)
Nonstick cooking spray
cups broccoli florets, finely chopped carrots, or green beans, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
cup finely chopped onion
teaspoons olive oil
6 1/2 ounce package light semisoft cheese with garlic and herb
cups fat-free milk
cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
ounces Asiago, Gruyere, or Manchego cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
cup crumbled whole wheat baguette or panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
Flat-leaf parsley or oregano
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium saucepan cook the pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli, carrots, or beans during last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain pasta mixture. Return to pan; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan cook onion in 2 tsp. of the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Add semisoft cheese; stir until cheese is melted and combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk and flour until smooth. Add all at once to onion mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheddar and Asiago cheeses until cheeses are melted. Add cooked pasta mixture; stir to coat.
- Transfer pasta mixture to 2-quart casserole. In small bowl combine baguette crumbles and remaining 2 tsp. oil; sprinkle on pasta mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until top is browned. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Good and Healthy Macaroni and Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 332 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 39 mg chol.,
- 455 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet