Fusilli with Garlic Pesto
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, cook garlic cloves in a large amount of boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic to a blender. Add the 1/3 cup basil leaves to the boiling water and cook for 5 seconds; remove with slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. (Do not drain boiling water.) Add basil to blender.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Before draining pasta, remove 1/2 cup of the hot cooking water and set aside. Drain pasta; return to Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, for pesto: Add oil, 2 tablespoons of the pine nuts, the 2 tablespoons cheese, the salt, and pepper to blender. Cover and blend until nearly smooth (pesto will be thin).
- Add pesto to cooked pasta; toss gently to coat. If necessary, toss in enough of the reserved cooking water to help coat the pasta evenly with pesto. Transfer pasta mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the 1 cup basil leaves, the 1/4 cup cheese, and the remaining pine nuts. Serve immediately.* Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
The fresh basil leaves will darken if left on top of the hot pasta too long. To avoid this, serve the pasta right after adding the basil.
Nutrition Facts (Fusilli with Garlic Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 524 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 15 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 264 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet