- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 12 ounces bulk Italian or pork sausage or ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 dried lasagna noodles
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese or 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese, drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. For sauce, in a large saucepan cook sausage, onion, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds (if desired), and black pepper into meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, cook noodles for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
4. For filling, combine egg, ricotta, and the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
5. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer half of the cooked noodles in the bottom of the dish, trimming or overlapping as necessary to fit. Spread with half of the filling. Top with half of the remaining meat sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. If desired, sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over top.
6. Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.
- Prepare as above through step 5. Cover unbaked lasagna; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake about 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Substitute 6 no-boil lasagna noodles (one-third of a 9 ounce package) for the regular lasagna noodles and skip step 3. Omit the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and pepper. For sauce, stir a 26-ounce jar pasta sauce into the browned meat mixture. Do not simmer. Continue as directed in step 4.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 441,
- Fat, total (g) 22,
- chol. (mg) 97,
- sat. fat (g) 11,
- carb. (g) 33,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 8,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 24,
- vit. A (IU) 437,
- vit. C (mg) 8,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 3,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 69,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 658,
- Potassium (mg) 233,
- calcium (mg) 343,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Vegetables () 1,
- Starch () 2,
- High-Fat Meat () 2,
- Fat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet