Chicken, Macaroni, and Cheese
ounces dried penne pasta
pound skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves
tablespoon olive oil
teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons tomato paste
cups shredded cheddar, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese (8 ounces)
Salt and ground black pepper
cups soft sourdough or French bread crumbs
cup finely shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese (2 ounces)
tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return pasta to pan.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite-size pieces. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, Italian seasoning, the 1/8 teaspoon salt, and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour. Stir in tomato paste. Add milk. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese is almost melted. Remove from heat; season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Add cheese mixture and chicken to cooked pasta in pan; stirring to coat. Spoon pasta mixture into a 13x9x2-inch foil baking pan with lid.
- In a bowl, stir together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and the 3 tablespoons melted butter. Place crumb mixture in a plastic bag; seal bag. Cover pan with lid. Attach crumb mixture and serving directions to pan (below). Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken, Macaroni, and Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 675 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 132 mg chol.,
- 771 mg sodium,
- 49 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 42 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet