Butternut Squash Ravioli Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Seed and peel squash; cut into 1-inch pieces (you should have about 2 2/3 cups).
- Place squash in an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Roast, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Transfer squash to a medium bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Stir in cheese and nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients, and mix until the ingredients come together to form a dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 15 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Combine the beef, veal, onion, celery, carrots, salt, and pepper in a roasting pan and roast until cooked through, about 1 hour. Let cool.
- Add the spinach, then grind ingredients in a meat grinder with a fine grind. Add the eggs and cheese, and mix well to create a paste-like texture.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface using a rolling pin. Make a large, very thin layer of dough. Spread out a thin layer of filling on half of one side of the dough, using a spatula. Fold the dough end over the filling side of the dough. Mark the filled dough with a ravioli marker (ravioli rolling pin). Cut ravioli out using a ravioli cutter. Freeze until hard.
- Make an egg wash by mixing together the eggs and milk. Add the ravioli to the wash, then dip in the seasoned bread crumbs. Refreeze until ready to fry.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degree F.
- Fry the ravioli until golden brown. Serve hot on a plate sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan on top and tomato sauce on the side.
Nutrition Facts (Butternut Squash Ravioli Filling)
- Per serving:
- 232 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 108 mg chol.,
- 289 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet