Broccoli and roasted red peppers bring updated flavors to this vegetarian casserole recipe.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Yields: 10 main-dish servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 425°F
- Stand: 10 mins
bunches broccoli, trimmed and cut up (about 8 cups)
dried lasagna noodles
15 ounce carton ricotta cheese
cup grated Parmesan cheese
slightly beaten egg
tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
12 ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained
cloves garlic, minced
Nonstick cooking spray
cups shredded Montery Jack cheese (8 oz.)
tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Place a steamer basket in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Add water just below the bottom of the steamer basket; bring to boiling. Add broccoli. Cover and reduce heat. Steam for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well. In a small bowl stir together ricotta cheese, the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, and parsley; set aside
- In a blender container or food processor bowl, blend or puree the roasted red peppers until almost smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in flour and garlic. Cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add milk and pureed peppers. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, basil, and pepper.
- Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce in dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce. Carefully spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over noodles. Top with 1/3 of the broccoli and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times beginning with sauce. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese and the 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Broccoli Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 406 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 84 mg chol.,
- 460 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet