Pasta with Eggplant Sauce
ounces bulk hot Italian sausage
28 ounce can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up
ounces fresh cremini and/or button mushrooms, sliced
6 ounce can Italian-style tomato paste
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cup dry red wine
cloves garlic, minced
cup assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, and/or Italian [flat-leaf] parsley)
cup pitted Kalamata or other Italian olives, sliced
Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
cups hot cooked penne pasta
tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat. If desired, peel eggplant. Cut eggplant into 1-inch pieces.
- In a 4- to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker combine sausage, eggplant, tomatoes in puree, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, wine, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Stir in herbs and olives. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve eggplant mixture over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts(Pasta with Eggplant Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 493 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 32 mg chol.,
- 871 mg sodium,
- 65 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet