ounces dried multigrain spaghetti or spelt spaghetti
pound Broccolini, chopped (about 5 cups)
cup frozen peas
slices turkey bacon
cloves garlic, minced
cup grated Parmesan cheese
12 ounce can evaporated low-fat milk
tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley (optional)
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Coarsely ground black pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions, adding Broccolini and frozen peas for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving the cooking water; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet cook turkey bacon according to package directions. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Cool bacon; break bacon into bite-size pieces.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and the flour. Slowly whisk in the evaporated milk. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in turkey bacon pieces.
- Place spaghetti-vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Pour sauce and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water over top. Toss gently to combine. Thin to desired consistency with more of the reserved cooking water. If desired, top with snipped parsley and additional grated Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Typical Pasta Carbonara: 2130 calories, 81 g fat (Cheesecake Factory)
Nutrition Facts(Pasta Carbonara)
- Per serving:
- 479 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 49 mg chol.,
- 600 mg sodium,
- 63 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet