- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 - 16 ounces dried pasta, cooked and drained
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
1. In a large skillet, cook eggplant, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until eggplant and onion are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in tomatoes, wine, oregano, salt, rosemary, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Serve eggplant mixture over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with cheese.
- When calling on wine for recipes, you needn't pull out your very best bottle, but don't use an inferior wine, either. The general rule is that any wine you use in cooking should be good enough to drink. Consider using the same wine you plan to drink with dinner in your recipe. Or, next time you enjoy a winebut don't quite finish the bottlepour the remaining wine into a smaller container (air is the culprit that makes good wine go stale). Store it in the refrigerator to help keep it fresh.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 397,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 11,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 61,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 5,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 8,
- sugar (g) 8,
- pro. (g) 13,
- vit. A (IU) 972,
- vit. C (mg) 17,
- sodium (mg) 983,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet