Generations of Italians have put day-old bread to good use with this inspired bread salad. Use end-of-season heirloom tomatoes in a variety of hues for a stunning effect.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place bread cubes in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; toss gently to coat. Bake about 6 minutes or until toasted, stirring once or twice. Cool.
- In a large bowl combine bread cubes, tomatoes, onion, and basil. Set aside.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour dressing over bread mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve bread mixture over lettuce.
From the Test Kitchen
To save time, substitute 1/4 to 1/3 cup bottled Italian salad dressing for the homemade dressing.
Nutrition Facts (Panzanella )
- Per serving:
- 268 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 416 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet