tablespoon baking powder
cup cooking oil or butter, melted
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In another medium bowl beat eggs slightly; stir in milk, oil, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cups batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker (use a regular or Belgian waffle baker). Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturers directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm.
- Makes 12 to 16 (4-inch) waffles
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except reduce baking powder to 1 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Substitute 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the milk.
- Per serving:
- 180 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 38 mg chol.,
- 177 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet