These low-fat waffles are made with whole wheat flour so you can feel good about feeding the healthful, filling food to kids.
- Yields: 16 (4-inch) waffles
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: per waffle baker directions
cups whole wheat flour
tablespoons brown sugar
tablespoon baking powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon ground ginger
cup canned pumpkin or mashed, cooked pumpkin
tablespoons butter, melted
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)
recipe Cider-Honey Syrup (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and ginger; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, butter, and, if desired, orange peel. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined (batter should be lumpy).
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold beaten egg whites into pumpkin mixture, leaving a few puffs of egg white.
- Heat a lightly greased waffle baker. Pour some of the batter onto the waffle grids. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturers directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grids. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve waffles immediately or keep warm in a loosely covered ovenproof dish in a 300 degree F oven. If desired, serve with Cider-Honey Syrup. Makes 16 (4-inch) waffles.
cup apple cider or apple juice
- In a small saucepan, combine apple cider or apple juice and honey. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve warm. Cover and store any remaining syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Waffles)
- 235 kcal cal.;
- 6 g Fat, total;
- 66 mg chol.;
- 3 g sat. fat;
- 41 g carb.;
- 3 g fiber;
- 7 g pro.;
- 436 mg sodium;
- 16 µg Folate;
- 6900 IU vit. A;
- 1 mg iron;
- 202 mg calcium;
- 1 mg vit. C
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet