- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Yields: Makes 24 small pancakes
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
- In a large mixing bowl combine the egg yolks and 2/3 cup of the buttermilk. In another bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to egg yolk mixture. Mix to combine. Stir in the remaining buttermilk and the melted margarine or butter.
- In a mixer bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold beaten egg whites into flour mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white. Do not overmix.
- For each pancake, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. If batter is too thick to spread slightly when dropped onto a hot griddle, stir in 2 to 4 tablespoons additional milk. Cook over medium heat about 1 minute or until golden brown, turning to cook second side when pancakes have a bubbly surface and slightly dry edges.
- Before serving, in a small saucepan warm syrup over medium-high heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve pancakes with warm syrup and fresh berries, if desired.
To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.
Prepare as above, except double all ingredients. Cook as above.
Up to 24 hours ahead, bake pancakes as directed. Cool completely. Arrange half of the pancakes in a single layer on a piece of foil (about 20x12 inches). Top with another piece of foil and remaining pancakes. Place a third piece of foil atop; seal edges of foil together with a double fold, making a packet. Chill in the refrigerator. To reheat, place foil packet in a 350 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve as directed.
- Per serving:
- 110 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 36 mg chol.,
- 133 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet