Fresh Corn Pancakes
Stir corn, green onions, and sweet pepper into these buttermilk pancakes for savory flavor. Serve the tender vegetable cakes as a side dish with grilled fish, chicken, or beef.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 1 4-inch pancake
- Yields: twelve 4-inch pancakes or twenty-four 2-inch pancakes
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 4 mins
Fresh Corn Pancakes
egg, slightly beaten
tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
cups Recipe Buttermilk Pancake Base
cups cut fresh corn (about 4 ears) or frozen whole kernel corn
cup thinly sliced green onion
cup finely chopped red or green sweet pepper
Recipe Herb Butter (optional)
- In a mixing bowl combine egg, milk, margarine or butter, and pepper. Add Buttermilk Pancake Mix. Stir just until combined but still slightly lumpy. Fold in corn, green onion, and sweet pepper.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until a few drops of water dance across the surface. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the hot griddle. Spread batter into a circle about 4 inches in diameter. (For a smaller pancake, spread about 2 tablespoons batter into a circle about 2 inches in diameter.)
- Cook over medium heat until pancakes are golden brown, turning to cook second sides when pancake surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry (about 2 to 3 minutes per side). Serve immediately or keep warm in a loosely covered ovenproof dish in a 300 degree F oven. If desired, serve with Herb Butter. Makes twelve 4-inch pancakes or twenty-four 2-inch pancakes.
Buttermilk Pancake Base
cups all-purpose flour
cups buttermilk powder
tablespoons + 2 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoons baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, buttermilk powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until well combined. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks.
- To use, spoon lightly into a measuring cup and level off with a straight-edged spatula. Makes 11 cups.
tablespoons butter, softened
tablespoons snipped fresh basil, cilantro, or thyme
- In a small bowl stir together softened butter and basil, cilantro, or thyme until combined. Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week. Let chilled butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until spreadable before using.
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Corn Pancakes)
- 252 kcal cal.;
- 5 g Fat, total;
- 21 mg chol.;
- 1 g sat. fat;
- 50 g carb.;
- 6 g fiber;
- 8 g pro.;
- 81 mg calcium;
- 2 mg iron;
- 217 mg sodium;
- 13 mg vit. C;
- 437 IU vit. A
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet