- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 - 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted, or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the warm water and yeast; stir to dissolve yeast. Add 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the sugar, 1/3 cup melted butter, egg, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Using a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that just starts to pull away from sides of bowl (dough will be slightly sticky).
2. Coat a 3-quart covered container with cooking spray. Place dough in container; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover and chill overnight.
3. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan or baking sheets.
4. Shape dough into 24 balls or desired rolls (be careful not to overwork dough; it becomes stickier the more you work with it) and place in the prepared baking pan or 2 to 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes for individual rolls, about 20 minutes for pan rolls, or until golden. Immediately remove rolls from pans. If desired, brush tops of rolls with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Serve warm.
- Prepare as directed through Step 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough half into a 10-inch circle. If desired, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Cut each dough circle into 12 wedges. To shape rolls, begin at wide end of each wedge and loosely roll toward the point. Place rolls, point side down, 2 to 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Continue as directed. Make 24 rolls.
- Prepare as directed through Step 3, except add 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano, crushed, to the dough during Step 1. Divide each dough half into 16 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 12-inch rope. Tie each rope in a loose knot, leaving two long ends. Tuck top end under the knot and bottom end into the top center. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Place 2 to 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Continue as directed. Makes 32 rolls.
- Per roll: 94 cal., 3 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 13 mg chol., 106 mg sodium, 14 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 2 g pro. 2% vit A, 0% vit. C, 1% cal, 4% iron.
- Prepare as directed through Step 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough half until 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch round cutter. Using the dull edge of a table knife, make an off-center crease in each round. Fold each round along the crease; press the folded edge firmly. Place rolls, larger half up, 2 to 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Continue as directed. Makes 24 rolls.
- Per roll: 122 cal., 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 17 mg chol., 624 mg sodium, 19 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 3 g pro. 2% vit A, 0% vit. C, 1% cal, 6% iron.
- Prepare as directed through Step 3, except use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour. Divide each dough half into six pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, tucking edges under. Place each ball on a greased baking sheet. Using your fingers, slightly flatten ball to 4 inches in diameter. Place balls 2 to 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Continue as directed. Makes 12 buns.
- Per bun: 223 cal., 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 29 mg chol., 247 mg sodium, 37 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 5 g pro. 4% vit A, 0% vit. C, 1% cal, 11% iron.
- Servings Per Recipe 24,
- cal. (kcal) 114,
- Fat, total (g) 3,
- chol. (mg) 15,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 19,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 1,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0,
- Trans fatty acid (g) 0,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 3,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- vit. C (mg) 0,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 1,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 48,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 123,
- Potassium (mg) 30,
- calcium (mg) 10,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Starch () 1,
- Fat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet