Orange-Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease three* 8x1 1/2-inch or 9x1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper; grease the paper. Set pans aside. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, orange peel, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in carrots and coconut. Gently fold in chopped orange sections. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; peel off waxed paper. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with half of the Orange-Cream Cheese Filling, spreading evenly. Repeat layers. Add top cake layer. Spoon Chocolate Ganache over cake and let it drip down the sides.
From the Test Kitchen
If you do not have three pans, refrigerate one-third of the batter until a pan is available.
Orange-Cream Cheese Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and orange marmalade.
- In a small saucepan bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand at room temperature until slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts (Orange-Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache)
- Per serving:
- 832 kcal ,
- 50 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat ,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 23 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 105 mg chol. ,
- 292 mg sodium ,
- 95 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 65 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.