- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir the milk, butter, sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in orange peel, orange juice, and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease two large baking sheets; set aside.
- Roll each dough half into a 12x7-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle into twelve 7-inch-long strips. Tie each strip loosely in a knot. Place knots 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks. Drizzle with Orange Icing.
- In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, orange peel, and enough orange juice to make icing a drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Orange Bowknots)
- Per serving:
- 203 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 29 mg chol.,
- 88 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet