Upload your photo here.
One-Handed Fried Pies
- For filling, in a small saucepan combine fruit and apple cider. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until fruit is tender and cider is nearly absorbed. Mash slightly; cool.
- Meanwhile, for pastry, in a medium bowl stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/4 cup shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture, gently tossing with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon buttermilk at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Form pastry into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 15 inches in diameter. Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut the pastry into six circles, rerolling dough as needed. Place about 1 tablespoon of the filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges of pastry circles with a little water. Fold rounds in half over filling; press edges with tines of a fork to seal.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat the 2 tablespoons shortening over medium-low heat. Fry the pies for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1/3 to 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/3 to 1/2 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Prepare as directed. Layer between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Freeze for up to 3 weeks. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap the frozen pies individually in foil and bake about 25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts (One-Handed Fried Pies)
- Per serving:
- 258 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 158 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet