Olive Oil-Basil Cornmeal Cake with Strawberry Sauce
cup yellow cornmeal
teaspoons baking powder
eggs, lightly beaten
cup granulated sugar
cup olive oil
tablespoons finely snipped fresh basil
tablespoon coarse sugar or sparkling sugar
Recipe Strawberry Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pan; set side. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, milk, and olive oil. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture and snipped basil until combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Turn cake sugar side up. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To serve, cut cake into wedges. Serve with Strawberry Sauce. If desired, garnish with fresh basil leaves and/or fresh strawberries.
cups fresh strawberries, hulled
tablespoons granulated sugar
tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- In a blender or food processor, combine strawberries, sugar and 1 tablespoon of the white balsamic vinegar. Cover and blend or process until smooth. If desired, stir in additional white balsamic vinegar to taste. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts(Olive Oil-Basil Cornmeal Cake with Strawberry Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 360 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 48 mg chol.,
- 294 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 27 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet