Olive Bread Stuffing with Fennel
tablespoons olive oil
pound trimmed fennel bulbs, cored and diced (about 2 bulbs)
cups chopped onions (3 large)
cup chopped green onions, white parts only (about 5 onions)
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
cups stale artisanal olive bread cut into 1-inch cubes
cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
cup oil-pack dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon
tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- In a large skillet heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat until foamy. Stir in fennel, onions, and green onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir about 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add mushrooms; cook and stir about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly soft.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and the dried tomatoes. (To serve today, omit Step 3 and continue as directed in Step 4.)
- Let mixture cool; transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; chill for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Transfer bread mixture to prepared dish. Drizzle with broth. Carefully stir in tarragon, thyme, and basil. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes more or until hot in center (165 degrees F).
Nutrition Facts(Olive Bread Stuffing with Fennel )
- Per serving:
- 265 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 694 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet