- Makes: 40 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Yields: 40 cookies
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Bake: 10 mins to 12 mins 350°F per batch
teaspoons baking soda
teaspoons ground ginger
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon kosher salt
cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
cup unsulfured dark molasses (not blackstrap)
cup firmly packed light brown sugar
cup granulated sugar
tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
large egg, beaten
cup coarse sugar (such as turbinado)
Orange Whipped Cream* (optional)
- Position one rack in the upper third and a second rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, molasses, brown sugar, granulated sugar, grated ginger, and egg. Add the flour mixture and stir together to combine thoroughly. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Put the coarse sugar in a small, shallow bowl. Scoop up a nugget of the dough and roll between your palms into a ball 1 inch in diameter. When all of the balls are formed, roll them in the coarse sugar, coating them evenly. Arrange the coated balls on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the cookies until the edges are crisp and the centers are still chewy, 10 to 12 minutes. For even baking, at the midpoint, switch the pans between the racks and rotate them front to back. Remove from oven and transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. The cookies can be made ahead, stored between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks. Serve with Orange Whipped Cream for dipping.
From the Test Kitchen
In a chilled mixing bowl beat 1 cup whipping cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel until soft peaks form.
Nutrition Facts (Old-Fashioned Gingersnaps)
- Per serving:
- 78 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 11 mg chol.,
- 91 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet