New Delhi Vegetable Curry with Whole Wheat Couscous
cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 medium)
cups assorted vegetables, such as cauliflower florets, onion wedges, and/or 1-inch pieces red or green sweet pepper
cup canned no-salt-added garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
teaspoons curry powder
teaspoons grated fresh ginger
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon cayenne pepper
cups fresh baby spinach leaves (5 ounces)
cup unsweetened light coconut milk
cup golden raisins
cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
cup boiling water
teaspoon olive oil
cup plain nonfat yogurt
cup snipped fresh cilantro
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker combine sweet potatoes, vegetables, and beans. In a medium bowl stir together broth, curry powder, ginger, garlic, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne pepper. Pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Stir spinach, coconut milk, and raisins into cooker. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more or until spinach is wilted.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine couscous and the 1/8 teaspoon salt; pour the boiling water and oil over mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve vegetable mixture over couscous. Top each serving with yogurt and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts(New Delhi Vegetable Curry with Whole Wheat Couscous)
- Per serving:
- 394 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 710 mg sodium,
- 75 g carb.,
- 14 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet