Neapolitan Cupcake Cones
ice cream cones with flat bottoms
package 2-layer-size white cake mix
ounce semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted
tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
cup strawberry preserves
Red food coloring
recipe Creamy White Frosting (see recipe, page 130) or two 16-ounce cans creamy white frosting
Desired paste food coloring
cup Chocolate Butter Frosting (see recipe, page 131) or canned chocolate frosting
Jimmies, sprinkles, nonpareils, and/or maraschino cherries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap the bases of ice cream cones in foil. Stand each cone in a 2 1/2-inch muffin cup. If necessary, press additional foil into cups to secure cones.
- Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions. Divide batter evenly among three bowls. Stir vanilla into batter in one bowl. Stir melted chocolate and cocoa powder into batter in second bowl. Stir strawberry preserves into batter in third bowl; tint batter pink using red food coloring.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the strawberry batter into the bottom of each ice cream cone. Add 1 tablespoon of the chocolate batter to each cone. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the vanilla batter; let batter settle in cones (see tip, page 8).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool completely in muffin cups on wire racks.
- Divide Creamy White Frosting between two bowls. Tint one bowl of frosting using paste food coloring. Fill separate pastry bags fitted with large star or round tips with white frosting, tinted frosting, and Chocolate Butter Frosting. (For twist cones, spoon white or tinted frosting and chocolate frosting side by side into a pastry bag). Pipe frostings onto tops of cupcakes to resemble soft-serve ice cream. If desired, top with jimmies, sprinkles, nonpareils, and/or maraschino cherries.
From the Test Kitchen
There may be some leftover strawberry batter.
Nutrition Facts(Neapolitan Cupcake Cones)
- Per serving:
- 298 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg chol.,
- 158 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 38 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet