- Trim stems of mushrooms even with the bottoms of the mushrooms. Trim some of the stem into very tiny pieces for "noses." Trim caps off peppers and scrape out seeds. Save 24 seeds. Cut parsley sprigs into tiny 1/4-inch pieces and bigger 1-inch pieces.
- Melt Country Crock® Spread in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and saute until mushrooms are beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Turn mushrooms stem-side down. Add water; cover and cook over low heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms with tongs and place in a serving dish. Add peppers and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to skillet. Cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place a long toothpick into a pepper and stick on top of mushroom with tip sticking out of the pepper. Arrange larger parsley pieces as "beards" at the base of each mushroom. Stick two pepper seeds on each mushroom as "eyes." Add tiny parsley "eyebrows." Stick tiny pieces of mushroom stem on as noses.
From the Test Kitchen
Get the family involved with this fun recipe! Everyone can chip in to clean the mushrooms with a damp towel.
Nutrition Facts (Mushroom Gnomes)
- Per serving:
- 60 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 135 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet