Maple Bran Muffin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat twelve to sixteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir buttermilk into bran cereal; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until cereal is softened. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda; set aside.
- Stir eggs, brown sugar, syrup, and oil into bran mixture. Add flour mixture to bran mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in dried fruit bits. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each nearly full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. If desired, drizzle with Maple Icing. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed; cool. Place unfrosted muffins in an airtight container. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 1 day. If desired, drizzle with Maple Icing before serving.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and maple flavoring. Stir in enough fat-free milk (1 to 2 teaspoons) to make icing easy to drizzle.
Nutrition Facts (Maple Bran Muffin)
- Per serving:
- 173 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 1 mg chol.,
- 152 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet