Maple Bran Muffin
Maple syrup, brown sugar, and mixed dried fruit bits give these low-fat buttermilk muffins a delicious hint of sweetness.
- Yields: 12 to 16 muffins
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 25 mins to 30 mins 350°F
- Stand: 5 mins to 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat twelve to sixteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir buttermilk into bran cereal; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until cereal is softened. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda; set aside.
- Stir eggs, brown sugar, syrup, and oil into bran mixture. Add flour mixture to bran mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in dried fruit bits. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each nearly full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. If desired, drizzle with Maple Icing. Serve warm.
Prepare as directed; cool. Place unfrosted muffins in an airtight container. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 1 day. If desired, drizzle with Maple Icing before serving.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and maple flavoring. Stir in enough fat-free milk (1 to 2 teaspoons) to make icing easy to drizzle.
- 173 kcal cal.;
- 4 g Fat, total;
- 1 mg chol.;
- 33 g carb.;
- 2 g Monosaturated fat;
- 1 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 5 g fiber;
- 14 g sugar;
- 5 g pro.;
- 152 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet