Cranberry-Pumpkin Scones with Sugared Pepitas
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
teaspoon baking soda
cup butter, cut up
cup dried cranberries
eggs, lightly beaten
cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
cup canned pumpkin
egg, lightly beaten
cups powdered sugar
teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
tablespoons orange juice
recipe Sugared Pepitas (desired amount)
Finely shredded orange peel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries and toss well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the 2 eggs, half-and-half, and pumpkin. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut circle into eight wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl combine the 1 egg with the 1 tablespoon water. Brush wedges lightly with egg mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet. Let cool for 5 minutes before spreading with glaze.
- For glaze, in a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, the 1 tablespoon butter, the 2 teaspoons orange peel, and the orange juice until well combined.
- Spoon glaze over warm scones, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with some of the Sugared Pepitas* and, if desired, additional shredded orange peel. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Store remaining Sugared Pepitas in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Use Sugared Pepitas on cheesecake, muffins, salads, or just to snack on.
cup raw pepitas
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a small saucepan combine 1/3 cup sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Let mixture cool. In a medium bowl combine pepitas with cooled sugar mixture; toss well to combine. Spread in prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown and crisp, stirring twice. Let cool on baking sheet. Makes 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Cranberry-Pumpkin Scones with Sugared Pepitas)
- Per serving:
- 544 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 119 mg chol.,
- 401 mg sodium,
- 82 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 47 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet