Nonstick cooking spray
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon apple pie spice
tablespoons canola oil
cup shredded, peeled apple (1 medium)
tablespoons finely chopped pecans
tablespoon flaxseed meal or toasted wheat germ
tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper bake cups and coat insides of paper cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, the 1/3 cup brown sugar, the baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl lightly beat eggs with a fork; stir in buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in shredded apple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- In a small bowl combine pecans, flaxseed meal, and the 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spoon pecan mixture on top of muffin batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin cups. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts(Apple-Streusel Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 163 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 39 mg chol.,
- 167 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet