- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: 2 cups red pepper dip; 1-1/2 cups avocado dip
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
Mr. Bones and Double Dips
cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers
canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
teaspoon chili powder
ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
tablespoons lime juice
Ground black pepper
ounces light sour cream
slices bacon or turkey bacon, crisp-cooked and finely crumbled
tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
teaspoon ground cumin
cups desired fresh vegetables, such as celery sticks for legs, cauliflower florets for head, sugar snap pea pods for ribs, baby carrots for shoulders and arms, small red sweet peppers for chest, grape tomatoes for feet, pimiento-stuffed green olive slices for eyes and spine, half zucchini slices, and/or red sweet pepper pieces
- For smoky red pepper dip, in a blender or food processor combine roasted red peppers, chipotle pepper, and chili powder. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add 8 ounces of the cream cheese and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice; cover and blend or process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Transfer smoky red pepper dip to a small bowl; cover and chill while preparing the creamy avocado dip.
- For creamy avocado dip, in a clean blender or food processor combine sour cream, the remaining 4 ounces cream cheese, and the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer sour cream mixture to a medium bowl. Seed and peel avocado; place in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Stir into sour cream mixture. Stir in bacon, cilantro, and cumin. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. If desired, cover and chill for up to 1 hour before serving.
- For veggie platter, in the center of a large serving platter create a skeleton shape with some of the fresh vegetables. Arrange extra vegetables around edge of platter. (If desired, you can arrange the veggie platter before preparing the dips; cover and chill for up to 4 hours.) Serve veggie platter with smoky red pepper dip and creamy avocado dip.
Nutrition Facts (Mr. Bones and Double Dips)
- Per serving:
- 132 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 201 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet