Mozzarella-Provolone Sausage Grinders
pound bulk hot or sweet Italian sausage
pound lean ground beef
15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
8 ounce can tomato sauce
tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
tablespoon balsamic vinegar
teaspoon crushed red pepper
small green sweet peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size strips
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons olive oil
10 inches French-style rolls or hoagie buns, split
to 15 slices mozzarella and/or provolone cheese, halved
Sliced pickled banana peppers
- In a Dutch oven cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Remove sausage from Dutch oven; set aside. In the same Dutch oven cook ground beef over medium-high heat until brown; drain off fat. Return sausage to Dutch oven. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, vinegar, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sweet peppers, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir onion mixture into meat mixture; cool slightly. Transfer meat mixture to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Transfer meat mixture to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Cover and reheat on high-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place half of the rolls, cut sides up, on a large baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until rolls are toasted. Repeat with the remaining rolls; cool. Place rolls in a resealable plastic bag.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. Tote rolls at room temperature. Tote cheese and banana peppers in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep meat mixture warm on warm-heat setting. To serve, fill rolls with cheese and meat mixture. Serve with banana peppers.
The day before:
From the Test Kitchen
3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Nutrition Facts(Mozzarella-Provolone Sausage Grinders)
- Per serving:
- 417 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 67 mg chol.,
- 1138 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet